Pregnancy is the journey of 40 weeks which the women goes to give birth to a new life. Many of the health care practitioners consider the first day of the woman’s last period as the first day of pregnancy. If the woman is able to conceive then the male’s sperm and the female’s egg take around two weeks to get pregnancy. So, it can be said that a woman gets pregnant by the second week after the first date of the last menstrual cycle. In the 1st week, most of the women especially those who are conceiving for the first time, are unable to recognize their pregnancy. It is the 2nd week which marks the beginning of series of events to make a baby so you can monitor your pregnancy week by week.
Symptoms and signs during 2nd week pregnancy
Successful conception depends upon the timing of couple’s interventions. If the sex timing is correct and you are ovulating in the right time then there are chances that you can get pregnant. Second week of pregnancy is considered as the time period for fertilization of the egg which later becomes the embryo and hence the baby. Women have varied pregnancy symptoms week by week, not all the women experience the same symptoms. At the 2nd week of pregnancy, you will be ovulating. Here are some symptoms which you can experience during this week:
- missed period
- swollen breasts
- mood swings
- increased urination
A missed period is generally the most common sign of pregnancy. Most of the women get the pregnancy tests done after missing their period to confirm if they are pregnant or not. Soon after the conception occurs the HCG hormone level increases in your blood and urine. This hormone is formed when the fertilized eggs get attached to the walls of the uterus.
Ovulation symptoms at the 2nd Week
- White cervical mucus gets little bit watery and white in color. The watery texture allows the sperm to float easily to the uterus.
- Morning sickness is another symptom for ovulation during the 2nd
- Basal body temperature is low at this stage.
- Some spotting can be seen at this stage of pregnancy.
No ultrasound is needed during 2nd week of Pregnancy
Yes, during the 2nd week of pregnancy there is no need of ultrasound because the zygote cannot be seen through the ultrasound scan. Technician or your gynecologist will probably be able to see the thickening of the uterine wall. However, you may face several types of physical discomfort because of the hormone fluctuation. During this week, the embryo grows at a faster rate than any other time. Whether it is the boy or the girl is also decided in this week. Many of the women generally don’t realize that they are actually pregnant during the second week. They take next two weeks as well to get the confirmation. However, they can monitor their ovulation cycle.
Fertilization of egg takes place in the 2nd week of Pregnancy
It cannot be confirmed if you are pregnant or not in the 2nd week. For this, you are required to keep a track of your ovulation cycle. During the ovulation if you had sex then the sperms will stay in the female’s body for some time. During that period, the egg is released from the follicle and travels to the fallopian tube, if sex happens at that time then male sperm floats to the fallopian tube where it gets fertilized. The sticky end of the sperm penetrates into the egg and fertilizes it. The fertilized eggs then moves down to the uterus to form the fetus.
Key points to keep in mind during the second week of pregnancy
Here are some of the important tips that you should follow during the 2nd week of pregnancy:
- Prenatal and folic acid supplements should be taken every day.
- During the fertile days, you should continue to copulate with your partner.
- Monitor your ovulation period and the consistency of the vaginal discharge.
- Keep your body fit and healthy with some exercises like walking, swimming and yoga for atleast 30 minutes in a day.
- Abstain from drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Switch to the healthy eating habits.
By following the above mentioned tips, it will be easier for you to conceive a stable pregnancy.
Include the fertility enhancing food in your diet
If you are really eager to conceive then it is important to switch to the fertility enhancing food in your meals. Take help from the dietician to prepare the chart for you to include the healthier food items in your daily meals. Some of those food items include:
- Green leafy vegetables: It helps in strengthening endometrial lining which is helpful in fertilization of zygote to the uterus.
- Salmon: It helps in boosting production of HCG hormones.
- Citrus fruits: It contains Vitamin C which is responsible for the release of eggs from the ovaries.
- Maternal Milk supplement: It should be consumed to get additional vitamins for getting better health to support the pregnancy.
- Fiber rich food: It helps in preventing constipation which gets common in pregnant women.
Avoid eating the food items like papaya, raw and half cooked meat, raw eggs, empty calorie food, and items containing caffeine.
Urine test helps in monitoring your health
As soon as you confirm your pregnancy either by testing at home or confirming it from the gynecologist, you will have to undergo several urine tests. This type of test helps in ensuring that you and your fetus are in good health condition. You will also be diagnosed for any kind of urinary tract infection, level of protein and pregnancy related hypertension. It also helps in checking the growth of the embryo and ensures that it is placed with stability in your uterus. Your doctor will recommend your urine tests frequently. Don’t worry if you have to get diagnosed for the same thing repeatedly. This helps in ensuring that you have the best health to continue your pregnancy.
Continue reading about 3rd week of pregnancy.